Traveling with Mom on Mother's Day

We are finally in the air and on our way to South Korea.  What a great thing it is to be traveling back home with my mom on Mother's Day!  Back in my youth when we were flying back and forth to Korea as a missionary family, we always flew coach, the cheapest way possible.  This time we are flying Premium Coach, which appears to be what the old first class cabin was like.  This is a much more comfortable flight that I remember.  We were provided with complimentary slippers, toothbrush, over the ear headphones, a pillow and a blanket.  So I sit here in my comfortable seat, slippers on, listening to some Bob Seger Greatest Hits, and blog from an airplane while flying.  We are living the high life!

I am the only son living outside of the Dallas, TX area so I don't get to see mom on a regular basis.  This trip will be a fun time for mom and I to reconnect.  I have a feeling this will be a powerful emotional experience, many of them tied to what happened in Gwangju and tied to our loss of my father over 2 years ago.  I couldn't have asked for a better mother and father and God definitely blessed me with a wonderful family. 

We are both excited to return to South Korea and Gwangju in particular.  When my parents returned in 1995 with my two brothers, I was still in college and just getting my life together.  I had a job and was getting engaged to my wonderful wife Pamela Wyatt Peterson.  As such, I wasn't ready to return to the land of  my youth.  I had fond memories, but felt that focusing on my new life in the U.S.A would be more important.  I have regretted that decision over the years and never expected to have another chance to return, and I was O.K. with that.  But over the last week, the anticipation of the trip has been building.  I found myself getting more and more excited about visiting Gwangju.  I guess I missed it more than I thought.

I would like to take this moment to thank my co-workers, co-coaches, and my boss who have listened to my stories and may end up covering some of my work for me while I am gone.  Thanks to J. D. Snead and Eric Holmes for working with my discus thrower while I am gone.  Thanks to my boss, Debbie Smith and both Maria Fleming and Deann Clawson for supporting me in this trip.  Also thanks to my wife and my kids for picking up the slack at home while I am gone.  I am surrounded by great people.  I also want to thank my employer for being so understanding and working with me to make this possible.  There is nothing better than working for an employer that makes you feel like family. #FortProud


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Introduction

A Whirlwind of Emotions May 15, 2018

Asian Forum and Celebration of Life